Friday 28 September 2012

Face Mask Fridays: Superdrug Hydrating Self Heating Mask

Hello there me dears! Hope you're all keeping well In Shaa Allah :o) I'm back with another Face Mask Friday review for you all :]

Today I shall be reviewing Superdrug's Hydrating Self Heating Mask - I have reviewed two others similar to this before, which are the Garnier Skin Naturals Pure Self Heating Sauna Mask and Sanctuary's 5 Minute Thermal Detox Mask. Click the names to check them out if you're feeling curious :D

My skin has been feeling a bit dry lately, so I thought I'd try this mask instead of something I'd use for my usual oily combo skin. And it would go with my little theme of self heating masks that I've been reviewing so far. Score! 


Superdrug Hydrating Self Heating Mask Review

Haha anyhoo. This mask - just like the Sanctuary mask - contains kaolin clay, which has be known to help get rid of excess oiliness by absorbing the oil on your face.

'Quench that thirst! Enriched with Jasmine and Evening Primrose Flower extracts Superdrug's Hydrating Self-Heating Mask helps to nourish and moisturise skin.'

When I read this, I was amazed that someone had made something that would get rid of excess oil and moisturise the skin. Usually it's quite hard to find something that does both.

And both things it actually does! Quite well too I might add. After using this, I didn't feel the need to moisturise at all. In fact if I did, I'd wake up with my t zone feeling oilier than usual.

Superdrug Hydrating Self Heating Mask Review

Now that we've talked about the hydrating part of the mask, let's move onto the self heating part..

'The gentle warming sensation draws out impurities for ultra soft smooth skin.'
[source]

Now that I think about it, they actually put an accurate description of the self heating part of the mask. Because I had tried the Sanctuary mask, I was expecting a blazing fire from the depths of Hell the moment it touched my face (I'm only joking.. well, half joking. :P) and so was quite underwhelmed by how, well, gentle it was. It was enough to notice though, definitely more so than the Garnier mask's!

In terms of consistency, it was quite runny compared to the Garnier and the Sanctuary ones. As you can see in the picture, it started running down my fingers before I could even steady my phone to take a picture of it. 

When I put it on my face it would slowly slide down my face so that after a few minutes I'd look like I have a big pink bum-chin and then drop off when I wasn't looking. O.o


Superdrug Hydrating Self Heating Mask Review

Also.. I know this is going to sound silly, but even though there's a woman on the packaging with a pink face mask on, for some reason I was expecting it to be grey just like the other two. I know, I know, it seems obvious now that I look at it, but I genuinely was like huh?! This is bright.. *looks at packet again* Oh.. heh.  xD I know. My brain works in unfathomable ways. I can't help it haha.

Another thing I notice about this was that it didn't dry up, but around the edges of where the mask was applied it would turn white and harden a little after a while. It would also.. curdle.. on my face, especially my cheeks, which aren't even oil at all, a little dry in fact. I don't know. Curdle? Is that the right word? I hope you guys know what I'm talking about, I can't think of a better way to describe it >.<

Superdrug Hydrating Self Heating Mask Review

One thing that I liked when I read the back of the sachet was finding out that it was suitable for vegetarians and vegans, that they do not test on animals so are cruelty free, and is also paraben free too! Awesome stuff. Now they just have to change the packaging to something recyclable and voila, it helps the world a tad more on it's way out hehe.

The only thing I didn't like about this mask apart from the odd curdling bit, was the smell. I mean it was nice and fruity/floral, and some people might like that, but the smell kind of got to my head a bit and made me a bit.. woozy. But other than that it lived up to what it said and it's always lovely to find something that does what it says on the tin, isn't it? (^__^)

For something that has 15ml in (just like the Sanctuary one - which I got four uses out of) I only got two uses out of this, but that may be because it was quite runny and you needed a lot of it to cover your face with.

But I must say that at just under half the price of the Sanctuary one (99p!) and with the same amount of product, and the fact that it lives up to what it says it does, I can safely say that this is one that you should definitely check out if you're ever in Superdrug in the skincare aisle. 

They're even doing a 4 for the price of 3 offer at the moment - they even do men's masks too, so there's something for everyone. Have you tried any of their masks? Tried anything similar? Let me know in the comments below! 

Disclaimer: All products were bought with my own money unless stated otherwise. All opinions are my own.

6 comments:

  1. I tried the chocolate orange self heating one and I totally agree with you about the 'runny' aspect of it. It's not a great look having a chocolate facemask dripping from your face! Ha!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh I haven't got that one, but I do have a chocolate one of theirs that I bought to try out :) LOL that image is just hilarious hahaha xx

      Delete
  2. I don't know if I could deal with having a face mask drip off my face - that "bum chin" look did not sound good! Haha. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha well atleast nobody will really see it! I do use it straight after a hot shower or bath when my pores are open, nobody will see me then hehe x

      Delete
  3. I tried the Sugar&Spice heating one, and had pretty much the same problem. I'm so used to using masks that set, that this was a bit of a suprise (maybe it's because I shoved the whole sachet on my face instead of just half). Also the smell was more chemical/artificial than I would have liked. (Have a mini reveiw in my Sept empties post) =)

    Might try a different brand of self heating masks next time.

    Asmaa

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't got that one! Lol you should try it with only half :) I shall check your post out isA! :) x

      Delete